Tony arrived here this week from the kennel of Rosaire Perron and will be mainly used here as a stud with an arrangement between Rosaire & myself. Rosaire continues to assist me on my endeavors to produce a competitive team here in the Open Class Racing in Quebec. Without his assistance, the conversion would not have been possible. Tony is the son of Mike from the Egil Ellis Kennel in Alaska. He has sired many great racing dogs here in Quebec. It is a real honor to have him here at Miortuk.
The other big story here has been the weather. As forecasted, the next major storm did arrive on Thursday depositing another 12" of wet snow. That added to what we received over that last couple of weeks has added over three & a half feet of new snow. With all the new snow, it has become difficult to open the road way into the chalet as the plow truck cant push the snow due to the high side banks. The road has become very narrow and is just wide enough to get the truck through. Another snow fall will leaves us stranded. The other complication is, I need to go out this coming week for food for the dogs.
Luckily for me a great neighbor, Michel, came yesterday with tractor equipped with a snow blower and widened my entrance enough that I will be able to plow out for the rest of the Winter.
Along with the snow, we also received 24 hours of rain which made the snow very heavy. This was creating a problem in the chalet with the melting snow on the roof causing water leeks in the ceiling and also the danger of collapsing the roof due to the weight of the, now, wet snow. This prompted me to go up on the roof to shovel off the snow. There was over 3' of snow along the edge of the roof on the western side of the chalet.
Coupled with all that has happened this week, the Hydro/Electricity was off for 11 hours on Friday.
So now: the hydro is back on, the roof is safe, the entrance way is clear & life is again wonderful here in the Northern Forest!
Until next week........