In order to prevent injuries to the dogs, especially shoulder, we made the decision to not run the dogs until the conditions improved.
On Wednesday, we received our seasons supply of dog booties from Mountain Ridge Sled Dog Supplies. Now, we can protect the dogs feet from the abrasions of the rough/icy trails.
Tonight, the forecast is for warmer temperatures, snow flurries and then rain on Sunday. With the snow and warmer temperatures, the trails should soften up so we can take the dogs out for a run. The conditions will not be perfect, but it will be safe enough to run as long as we keep the speed down.
Every year, we have these conditions and we have to temper our desire to run in order to prevent possible season ending injuries to the dogs.
When it comes to the welfare of my team mates, I take a very conservative approach.
The good snow conditions will return!
Until next week......