From last Sunday until the present, we have experience incredible weather here! The trails have all been hard packed and frozen making it impossible to run the dogs safely.
For this reason and the fact the dogs haven't trained along with the weather forecast for more freezing rain, heavy rain for Saturday with temperature reaching +13 Celsius; We decided not to attend the race at St. Luc for the protection of the dogs against injury.
As it turned out it was a good decision, as late last night and into this morning we had lightning, thunder, heavy rain/snow mix followed by freezing rain. The ground here is covered with a thick/icy crust.
It is disappointing to have to cancel our plans to go to St. Luc as it was 720 days in the planning as we were unable to race last all last season due poor weather.
That is life of a Musher!
Our first responsibility here is the welfare of our canine athletes and we will not run them in what we consider harmful conditions.
So, now we wait for some snow to fix the trails and prepare the dogs for our next race at Valcartier the middle of March.
The above video is of our 4 Dog Team running here in better conditions.
I am very proud and pleased with the performance of all our dogs and the development of our young leaders.
Until next week.......