We have had, what seems like, a long layoff due the 2 days of rain we received over the New Years weekend. After the rain, it turned cold and everything froze up making the trails icy and dangerous for training.
Due to the lack of snow & poor conditions , the first race of the season here at Saint Michel Des Saints was cancelled. This was a shame for the mushers and also the organization that was putting on the event. But, for safety of the dogs they made the correct decision.
The dogs ran well considering the long layoff. We broke the team down to 2 teams of 8 dogs for safety and control due to the lack of snow. On Friday, we received about an 1" of snow. That was enough to cover the ice. The dogs handled the layoff better than the mushers.
However, there is no control over Mother Nature!
If all goes well, we are planning on running 12 dog teams next week to prepare for our next race on January 22nd & 23rd.
One of the high-lite of the week was Carl Routhier coming here and picking up his 5 dog team. We wish Carl all the success & fun of running Sled Dogs.
Until next week.......